Understanding your child's educational needs is important when considering a special education evaluation. Children may require specialized educational services due to various reasons such as learning disabilities, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), developmental delays, autism spectrum disorder (ASD), or other conditions impacting their academic progress and social development.
Recognizing signs that your child might benefit from special education services is crucial. These signs can include persistent academic struggles, difficulties with comprehension, challenges in following instructions, behavioral issues in the classroom, or struggles with social interactions.
Starting the Special Education Evaluation Process
- Request in Writing: To start the process, you must formally request a special education evaluation from your child's school district. Draft a written request addressed to the school's principal or director of special education services. Make sure the letter specifies your concerns and reasons for believing that your child may require special education services.
- Consent and Assessment: Once the written request is submitted, the school district will contact you about formally evaluating your child. This evaluation will include various assessments, which may involve educational testing, psychological evaluations, observations, and consultations with teachers or specialists in relevant areas.
- Evaluation Review: After the evaluation process is complete, a meeting will be arranged. This meeting involves parents, educators, specialists, and relevant school personnel. The gathered evaluation results will be reviewed and discussed. If the evaluation concludes that your child is eligible for special education services, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) will be developed.
How Mizrahi Kroub LLP Can Help
Mizrahi Kroub LLP comprises a team of specialized attorneys dedicated to assisting families navigating the intricate landscape of special education law in New York. Our firm offers a range of services tailored to support families throughout the evaluation and IEP development process:
- Legal Guidance: We provide comprehensive legal advice and guidance, helping families understand their rights and options within the special education system.
- Advocacy: Our lawyers are strong advocates for your child's educational needs. We work tirelessly to ensure that your child receives appropriate services and accommodations in line with their unique requirements.
- Representation: In instances where disagreements or disputes arise with the school district regarding services or the IEP, our attorneys offer representation. This includes attending meetings, mediations, or due process hearings and advocating for your child's rights and needs.
Contact Our New York Special Education Lawyers Today To Get Started
If you think your child might require special education services or if you’re dealing with challenges during the evaluation process, Mizrahi Kroub LLP's team of dedicated New York special education lawyers is here to offer support and guidance.
For further information or to schedule a consultation with our experienced attorneys, please visit Mizrahi Kroub's Special Education Law page or contact us directly. We understand the importance of your child's education and are committed to making sure they receive the necessary support for their success.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.